Study of reproduction, growth, mortality and browsing behaviour of Mubende goats under station management in central Uganda
MetadataShow full item record
Permanent link to cite or share this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10568/70849
A study was initiated in August 1986 to examine the reproductive performance, growth, mortality and browsing behaviour of Mubende goats under improved station management in Central Uganda. Conception rate for does was 100 per cent and the mean conception rate was 8.5 months and mean age at first kidding was 13.5, months. Significantly, single kids were heavier at birth than twins and males were heavier than females (P < 0.05). More twins died than singles and more females died than males (p<0.05). However, there were no significant differences in mortality rates from birth to weaning and after weaning. Overall mortality rate of kids was only 17.0 per cent. Because of regular spraying with acaricide, no goat developed and died of mange infection which was prevalent in the neighborhood and caused a lot of death among village goats. Significant differences were noted in the growth rates between females and males and between twins and singles (p < 0.05). On the average, 75% of the time was spent on browsing mainly Leucaena leucocephala and Impomea ungulata while the remaining 25% was spent grazing Panicum maximum and Penniseum purpurem. There were no sex and age differences in grazing behaviour.
Livestock breed typesMUBENDE
- DAGRIS